Guidelines to write a manuscript to publish in the scientific Journal of Desert Management
Iranian Scientific Association of Desert Management and Control
It is necessary to follow the guidelines in writing manuscripts that are sent to the scientific Journal of Desert Management.
1- Article type
The original research papers, with innovation and the result of the research projects of the author(s) related in one of the following research fields, written in Persian with an English abstract which is publishing for the first time, will be reviewed by the editorial board.
The acceptable fields and scopes are grouped below:
The submitted manuscript should not be published in other journals or be submitted to other journals simultaneously.
1) Title Page (introduce the author(s)): It contains the name, surname, affiliation, full postal address of each affiliation, and phone numbers of the author(s) written in Farsi and English along with the corresponding author's email address. The title page should provide in a separate file. In this file, the title of the manuscript in Farsi and English should also be mentioned.
2) Title: The title should be concise and comprehensive and should not exceed 15 words and should reveal the main concept of the research. The title should be written on first line and centered at the first page.
3) Abstract: The abstract should be a compact and expressive collection of the manuscript with an emphasis on describing the problem, methodology, main results and their evaluation, and should not exceed 350 words. Avoid using abbreviated names, providing references, formulas, tables and figures in the abstract.
4) Keywords: maximum 6 words should be given in order of priority and with ";" should be separated from each other and their English equivalent should be inserted under the English abstract of the manuscript in the same order. In order to make the manuscript more visible in scientific research, these words should not be repeated in the title.
5) Introduction: It includes a statement of the problem, background information, hypotheses, review of research and the purpose of the research.
6) Materials and methods: It includes the used materials and tools, a complete description of the test methods and how the research was carried out, the characteristics of the study area, statistical design and evaluation methods. Any generalization in this section should be avoided.
7) Results: All obtained qualitative and quantitative results plus necessary explanations should presented in this section. If needed, the topics can be classified; tables and figures (curves, graphs or pictures) can be used to present the results.
8) Discussion and conclusion: It includes an explanation of the results according to the purpose of the study, and the achievements are analyzed according to the findings of the other researches outcomes, and a discussion plus conclusion should make about them. So the findings comparing should be given in this section. Also the author(s) provide recommendations and suggestions for further investigations. The author(s) can combine the discussion section with the results, and then choose the title "Results and Discussion". In this case, the conclusion section of the article with the title "conclusion" is a short paragraph and only concludes the research results.
9) Acknowledgments: In this part, thanks are given to the providers of the funds & facilities and other people, who helped in conducting the research, except the authors, which is optional.
Note: plagiarism is considered an unscientific, inappropriate and unacceptable act for Journal of Desert Management. In order to avoid it, when expressing and presenting the work of other researchers, do not use the same sentences even referencing the source.
A) Citation in the text:
To cite a reference within the text only use numbered style, mention the order number which is allocated to a source in the reference list, which must be noted in parentheses.
The journal emphasis is not to cite the authors' names of references in the beginning of the sentences. Therefore, avoid mentioning the authors' names of the references in the text. Sentences should be written with passive verbs so that there is no need to mention the author's name. If it is required, only one or at most two cases in the manuscript, it is permissible to use the authors' names so mention only the year of its publication in the form mentioned in the list of References, inside the parentheses. At the end of the same sentence, the same reference number is mentioned in parentheses. If there are more than two authors, after the name of the first author, "et al." to be used.
In each article, a master's thesis should be cited.
b) References list:
The references list at the end of the manuscript should be written in English. Persian books and papers should be written in English as well. So Persian and English references should be compiled alphabetically in one list in the order of the first author surname. Do not translate arbitrarily the title, other details of the authors or the publisher name of the reference. All references should be listed in the references list in the order of the first author's last name alphabet, if there is no author, the name of the relevant organization should be written. References should be numbered consecutively and the same number should be cited in the text.
In the references, avoid using abbreviated form such as "J" instead of Journal, U or Univ. instead of University, etc.
If several references are used from one author, the order of their presentation is from the oldest to the newest according to the year of publication. It should be noted that if there are individual and common papers from one author, first the individual papers and then the rest in alphabetical order of the names of the next authors should be presented.
Avoid writing the terms "et al" in the list of references, instead of the authors' names. All the names should be mentioned in the order mentioned in the references. The full family name and the first letter of the author's name should be separated from each other with a comma and write “&” before the last author's name.
The solar years of all Farsi references used in the manuscript should be presented in the form of the Gregorian year.
In the case of references that are Farsi, to inform the reader's, the phrase "in Farsi" should be added at the end of the reference after the end point and inside parentheses.
The citation style of references:
Author, A. A., & Author, B. B. (Year). Title of book. Location: Publisher.
Mozaffarian, V., (2009). Trees and shrubs of Iran. Tehran: Farhang Moaser Publisher. (in Farsi)
Author, A. A., & Author, B. B. (The translation Year). Title of book. Translator, A. A., Location: Translation Publisher.
McCoy, R. M. (2005). Field Methods in Remote Sensing. Jafari, R., Tehran: Iran University Press.
Author, A. A., Author, B. B., & Author. C. C. (Year). Title of article. Title of Journal, Volume(Issue), page-numbers.
Mohammadi, M., Ekhtesasi, M.R., & Talebi, A. (2021) Comparison efficiency of moments, L-moments and maximum likelihood methods in regional flood analysis. Journal of Arid Biome, 10(2), 79-97. (in Farsi)
Author, A. A. (Year). Title of Thesis. Degree, University: Placed Published.
Abdolshahnejad, M. (2020) Dust storm risk assessment and providing strategies to contact it (Case study: Ahvaz County). PhD thesis, University of Tehran. (in Farsi)
Author. (Year). Title. Paper presented at the Conference Name, Conference Location.
Bagherian Ardabiliyan, P. (2009). Investigating the methods of reducing evaporation from water resources and reservoirs with a look at the evaporation situation in the surface waters of East Azerbaijan province. 3rd Conference on Water Resources Management, University of Tabriz, Tabriz, Iran. (in Farsi)
Author, A. A. (Year). Title of webpage: Subtitle if needed, Retrieved Month day, year, from source.
NCAA Committee on Sportsmanship and Ethical Conduct. (2012). Operations plan: Strategic planning and budgeting for the 2012 and 2013Academic Years. Retrieved February 9, 2012, from http://www1.ncaa.org/membership/governance/assoc-wide/ sportsmanship ethics/index.html
Note: It is important to follow the typographic principles for the punctuation marks, that must be followed properly.
- Check that all the references cited in the text of the manuscript are mentioned in the reference list or vice versa.
11) English abstract:
The abstract of the manuscript should be translated in English along with the title and keywords at the end of the manuscript without specifying the author(s)' information.
The manuscript should be typed on A4 page with 20 mm top and bottom margins and 20 mm right and left margins with Nazanin Bold (B Nazanin) font type in MSWord software. The line spacing should be a single space. The manuscript size, including tables, figures, results, references, should not exceed 16 pages. Avoid using English words whose equivalents are available in Farsi in the text, and if necessary, type the English word in the footnote with the number. The first line of each paragraph should be indented by 0.5 cm.
The type and size of the fonts should be observed according to the table below.
Tables and figures show the results much more precisely and clearly than the text. The information provided in the tables should not be repeated in the manuscript in a figure or in any other form. The number and title of the table should be written at the top of the table. Each table column must have its own title and unit. If all the numbers in the table have the same unit, the unit can be mentioned in the title of the table. The results of statistical analysis should be reflected in the table using a scientific method. The table should be designed only in MSWord software and avoid linking it with other files.
All charts, curves, photographs, and maps, should be considered as figures and be numbered identically. The figures must be provided with in high quality. The number and title of each figure should be inserted at the bottom of it. Maps and photos should be in high resolution, their contents readable and have a scale. Mentioning the reference of photos or figures adapted from other sources is mandatory. The original files of the figures should be sent to the publication in Excel, JPEG, Tiff or PDF format for final printing. Figures and tables should be set according to the sample without additional frame.
Figure 1. Example of the desired figure of Journal of Desert Management
Tables should be prepared without vertical lines and in the form below. Number the tables and put the number at the beginning of the caption and refer to it in the text.
Table 1. Example of the desired table of Journal of Desert Management
In the new way of writing, any description in the parentheses are not common, express them directly in the text. Avoid writing in the footnotes and inside the parentheses.
The article should be written and sent in a single-column format and avoid writing it in two columns.
The uploaded files:
1) The main text of the manuscript lacking the authors names in format of doc or docx.
2) Upload the title page including the Farsi and English title of the manuscript along with the names, affiliation and full postal addresses of the authors and the corresponding author's email address.
3) Letter of commitment signed by all authors
Sending this letter of commitment is required to start the initial review, and if the letter of commitment is not uploaded along with the manuscript, it will not be reviewed.
Sending a letter of commitment based on: 1) not publishing the submitted article in any form in the past, 2) the commitment of the authors about the complete accuracy of the data of the current research, 3) the authors have observed scientific ethics in compiling and editing the article, 4) no simultaneously submission of the article to other publications is allowed until the final decision is made by the Journal of Desert Management, 5) the authors are informed the manuscript submission to the journal office and 6) the authors will never remove this letter of commitment from the journal's website.
Click here to receive the commitment form and the conflict of interest form.
Manuscript editing form according to the Journal format
Before manuscript submission, check all the points of the format are fully observed for the Journal of Desert Management. Check that all 17 items in the table have a yes answer. The following table should be completed, reviewed and uploaded on the site along with the manuscript submission. The absence of the following table and the letter of commitment and conflict of interest form will cause the manuscript elimination.
The mentioned files must be uploaded in the journal system at www.jdmal.ir in the manuscript submission section.
Postal address: Yazd, Safaieh, Research Crossroads, Yazd University, Research Institute of Arid lands and Desert regions, Iranian Scientific Association of Desert Management and Control.
Postal Code: 8915818411
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The guide for writing a manuscript based on the APA guidelines is available on the website of the Iranian Scientific Association of Desert Management and Control.
After the initial acceptance of the article, in the publication system, you are required to make a deposit by referring to the bank, 3,500,000 Iranian Rials to the account number of 2007517303 in Tejarat Bank, Yazd University Branch, Branch Code 20075, bank account holder: The Iranian Scientific Association of Desert Management and Control.
For the payment ID, you can write down the mobile phone number of the Corresponding author, or his/her name.
A: Authors who want to make electronic payments using mobile banking or ATMs can do so by selecting the payment option through the account number and using the following Sheba ID:
IR 2301 8000 0000 0020 0751 7303
Bank account holder: Iranian Scientific Association of Desert Management and Control
B: Go to Tejarat Bank and deposit the amount of 3,500,000 Iranian Rials to Journal of Desert Management manually through the bank counter.
Please deposit the fee in the account of the association within a maximum of one week and upload its scan on the Journal of Desert Management website to issue the final article acceptance letter.